Both Centres are committed to teaching our children to be environmentally responsible.
We believe that sustainability in early childhood education is an important part of the curriculum and should be incorporated into each day.
We have a Green team who are responsible for ensuring sustainable practices are carried out throughout the building.
All our Educators role model practices that encourage sustainability through recycling, water conservation, electricity usage and includes:
- Educators teaching children to care for the environment
- Recycling water from water play into the gardens
- Emptying the children's drinking bottles onto the garden
- Utilising centre water tanks for watering garden beds
- Turning off lighting when playing outside
- Educating children about worm farms
- Educating children about growing vegetables/ fruit trees and using these resources in our cooking experiences
- Encouraging children to participate in recycling programs (recycling bins for cardboard, plastic and paper) and encourage them to develop new strategies for recycling materials (using donated materials for art and craft).
- Using technology to efficiently communicate with families regarding Centre events, newsletters & children’s portfolios, to reduce the amount of paper required.
- Providing recycling charity bins for families to donate unwanted items for reuse.